Everyone thinks their mom is the best cook in the world. But my mummy is seriously yummy! And this is the proof! My mother Gulnar, came from Basra, Iraq to Karachi in 1965 and brought recipes the likes of which Karachi had never seen (well, maybe). Here's some of her signature recipes that should try. Some of them are my experiments and food experiences from around the world. You can check out the menu and order details on facebook.com/yummymummyandme

Sunday 13 May 2012

My Mother's Favorite Foods

Since it's Mother's Day today I thought I would ask my mother what her favorite foods are. She's a great cook but she hardly ever really says 'wow, that tastes good!' So today, I interviewed my mother....

1. Spinach


All forms of spinach - cooked with beef, mutton or chicken, creamed or steamed. This is the first things she mentioned when I asked about her favorite food. I guess this explains her flawless skin and fit figure! We usually cook spinach with dill and mutton at home - served with fluffy white rice. Iraqis and Iranis both claim the recipe as their own - however, the Iranian version has red beans in it too.

2. Fish-head Curry


My mum's really picky about sea-food. From our time in Malaysia and the extensive range of seafood cuisine available there, my mother loves Indian fish head curry the most. Basically this involves a whole fish head (Ikan Merah/Red Snapper) stewed with okra in a sour tamarind (asam java) based curry. However, it is not regular 'hawker fare' in Malaysia - it's an expensive local delicacy.


3. Food Centre, Burns Road


Food doesnt get better than Burns Road in Karachi. But my mother isn't one for eating in the car or on a roadside or a dingy local restaurant. So The Food Centre on main Burns Road solves that problem - airconditioning meets good, cheap local food. That's a plus for Mum!


4. Tebsi

Really should work on my photo skills
Staying true to Iraq, this is a dish of layered minced beef, grilled tomatoes and brinjal served with white rice. The mince is cooked with a mix of ginger, garlic, red chilli and salt. Simple cooking style but BIG on flavour.


5. BBQ Tonight, Boat Basin



BBQ Tonight is by far my mother's MOST favorite dining experience - fresh, quick and good value. Mum loves their bread selection too  and really savours the non-spicy barbecued meats. In fact, we're ordering in from BBQ Tonight for Mother's Day - pictures will be up later today!


Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's reading this! Hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment